Saturday, October 30, 2010

Eight more days

In 8 more days, Nov 6th to be exact, we'll be flying down to México. Myself, Señor B, our youngest daughter, whom I shall refer to as LM3, LM being short for La Muchacha which I'm pretty sure is Spanish for daughter (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and her best friend (BF). Both girls are 20-somethings. BF has never travelled internationally and is excited beyond words. She tells me that she has been counting down the days since we booked the tickets several months ago.

Being typical girls, they both wanted to pack their suitcases full "in case they wanted to wear this or that item." Living 5 hours from family and making the drive once or twice a year, I've learned how to pack light. I *used* to be one of those women who overpacked. Not anymore.

They were both agreeable to me making a packing list for them. We talked about taking clothes that will co-ordinate to increase wearing mileage. We have a washer and dryer at the condo, so I told them they really only need to take a week's worth of clothes. Told them they only need one flat iron between them and discussed a few other things. And then I made the list.

Apparently my list sucked...LOL. So we went over things and I explained why I made it the way I did. We negotiated a few extra add-ins. They both have their suitcases about half full which was the goal. Our condo still needs some things and I need the girls to mule stuff down for me. Señor B and I will be sharing a suitcase. He had a hip replacement this past June and needs the other one done. He was told it would be shortly after the new year, so keep your fingers crossed for him. Because he gets around on crutches, he's not able to haul his own suitcase, so we have to share, leaving no extra room in ours to bring anything down.

Some people have asked why we don't just buy what we need down there. Wish it was that easy. Not everything that NOB'ers (North of the Border) are accustomed to is available there. Or if it is, it's not always in stock. So you might go to a store, not see what you want and assume they don't have it. But it might be there next week. When we're only there for 3 weeks, we don't really have time to fiddle around with that. Also, things aren't always of the same quality that NOB'ers are used to. So we're taking some things with us.

I have a box in the basement that I've been adding to, according to a list I made up a year ago of things needed to stock a house. We took some things with us in Jan and also bought when we were down there. We were focussed on the essentials so the kitchen is still pretty spartan. Now we can add some extras. I'll have to go through the box to see what I think we'll need the most.

Well, that's it for tonight. Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments posted anonymously, or with self-serving links, may be removed.