Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year

Happy New Year, everybody.

Yesterday, we got an email from our condo neighbours, L & M. They live 2 doors down from us. Our neighbours directly to the other side, Owen and Bindi, live about 1.5 hours from where we live, here in Canada. Isn't that wild? Anyways, the email said they were having a party under the palapa, down by the pool, and wished we were there. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Rub it in that we're dealing with this...lol.


That's our backyard this afternoon. It's been snowing all day. It was so quiet when I popped outside to snap this. The only sound I heard was a vehicle in the distance. No birds chirping, no dogs barking, no kids screaming in the way that only kids can when they're having fun, no skidoos zooming up and down the back alley. Nothing. It was like being on another planet.

Last night we went to our friends who live in the country, for our annual NYE get together. Fireworks at midnight are always on the agenda. As our friend was setting them off, I was thinking about the fireworks in México. Of course, we didn't have nearly as many so ours didn't last into all hours of the night. And I'll bet that nobody in México had to wear a winter jacket, Sorrell boots, alpaca toque and hold their mitted hands over their nose to keep it from freezing.

Today is a day of introspection for many people. I'm no exception. I've given much thought to some changes I'd like to make this year both personally and professionally. The biggie, for me, is to hold my family closer. Life is far too short as I learned, many times over, since this past Sept. I know it's a cliché, but all the deaths we've had in our little town this fall have really driven that point home.

Family has always been important to me but as the kids have grown and gone their own ways, I've also gone in a new direction, and it seems as though family hasn't played as big a role in my life. I've realized that my grandkids will also be grown and gone soon enough and I want to get to know them better. So I'm going to work to that end.

I hope that 2011 is kind to everyone and that what matters most to you is bigger and better than last year. Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments posted anonymously, or with self-serving links, may be removed.