Tuesday, February 15, 2011

We Made It

On the first leg of our trip, a lady collapsed on her way to the washroom. The flight attendant had to page for a doctor or nurse. A couple of people came forward to look after her. It took a while for her to come around and I heard the one tell her to have some juice...that she needed to get some sugar into her. So I'm guessing her problem was diabetic related. In all the flights I've been on, this is the first time anything like this has happened. Señor B slept through the whole thing.

I was soooo tired from being up since 6am but, even though we were on the red eye, I had a hard time getting to sleep. Thank goodness for Gravol. Took one of those and I was out cold. We had a 3.5 hour layover in Toronto and I even managed to sleep in the waiting area despite the firmness of the seats.

The second leg of our journey was uneventful. Or, if anything happened, I was asleep and missed it.

We went to the car rental place to pick up our vehicle. They were going to give us a medium sized car and then offered us a Jeep I-don't-know-what-model for an extra $20 for the 2 weeks. The Jeep is easier for Señor B to get in and out of so, for the extra $20, we took it.

We made it out of Cancún and through Mérida, to Progreso, with no problems. Unlike last time where we went round and round and round.

We rolled into Progreso around 7pm and went to pick up a few groceries. I've mentioned that you can buy alcohol in the grocery stores here. So we put some beer and Kahlua into the cart. The cashier informed me that we couldn't buy alcohol after 5pm. So she had to take it away.

We weren't sure if this only applied to that store, so we went to an OXXO to see if we could get some beer there. OXXO is like our 7-11. The young man started to ring it through and the lady there (middle aged, so likely his supervisor) started giving him heck. I didn't understand a word but her tone said, "What are you doing? You can't sell that!" I pointed to the wristwatch I don't wear and asked, "Cinco?" He said, "Si." And then he said, "Sheeeeeet." He was somewhat embarrassed. The lady gave him a friendly bop on the head with the small notepad she was holding and we all laughed. Fortunately, we still had a small stash of liquor from our last trip so Señor B wasn't completely without.

Our neighbours, Owen and Bindi came over shortly after we arrived. Owen brought some beer with him so Señor B was a happy man...lol.

We had a few ants in the condo and Owen and Bindi warned us to watch out for ant nests. Carpenter ants like to nest in dark places and can do a lot of damage to wood. Before I went to bed, I was putzing around, putting a few things away. I opened a drawer on the TV stand and discovered the inside swarming with ants. I slammed the drawer shut. Señor B was asleep so I told him about it this morning. He asked if I had seen a queen.

Is he serious?! Everybody knows I'm a bugophobe. I'm not the least bit interested in knowing whether or not there's a queen. Just get rid of the danged things! So Owen came over, took the drawer outside and sprayed it with Raid. I'm so grateful. No way, no how was I going to pull the drawer out, take it to the deck and shake out the contents. Those ants can run like crazy! They're fast little critters! Iy yi yi. And there's no way that Señor B, who's still on crutches, could move quickly enough nor bend down far enough to have done this. We bought Owen a case of beer for his efforts.

A couple of times I've found an ant in the towel drawer in the kitchen. We're going to have to watch for a nest in that area. Blech!

This morning was spent sleeping in a bit and unpacking the rest of the suitcases. Then we sat outside with Owen and Bindi, enjoying the sunshine, a couple of drinks and some lunch.

Last night's grocery trip was for just a few essentials for breakfast. We did a bigger shopping trip this afternoon. When we got back, we went down to the pool and visited with everyone down there.

Six of us decided to go out for supper so we headed on over to The Bamboo Restaurant in Chicxilub. The service was incredibly slow. The one couple said this was typical of this place but the food was good and that's why they kept returning. Señor B and I both had chicken fajitas. He had a beer or 2 and I had a Kahlua. Our bill came to 195 pesos which is roughly $15. We both enjoyed our meals. We might go back. It helps to know, ahead of time, that you can't go there if you're in a hurry.

We've been told that the power company is doing some work in the area and that they may have to turn the power off. They've turned it off a couple times in the past few days. Everyone is hoping they're done and there'll be no more power outage. But nobody is holding their breath.


  1. So glad you made is safely! Buying beer after 5 thing is important to remember especially if your a couple of lushes like us! How long are you in the Yucatan? Oh and big high 5 to Senor B for handling the ant issue. I had the weebies reading about it

  2. Erica, is the 5 o'clock thing everyday or just Sundays? We're here until the 28th, flying back Mar 1. Senor B didn't touch the ants. He has a bad hip and is on crutches. He has a hard time walking and an even harder time bending down to pick things up. Our neighbour came and took care of the ants for us. Those things give me the heebie jeebies.

  3. Glad you made it in safely! :)

    I've never heard of this 5 o'clock rule/law. (I rarely buy alcohol.) I'm going to have to ask my in-law's about this tomorrow.


Comments posted anonymously, or with self-serving links, may be removed.