Monday, November 28, 2011

Mish Mash of Stuff

This morning Senor B and I went uptown to run a few errands. First, we went to a store called Bolom Balam. It's on Calle 80 and just off the malecon. Two gentlemen, Richard and David, operate it. They also collect school supplies and Christmas toys to distribute to those who are in need. We've brought school stuff down on previous trips and did the same this trip. Unfortunately, the store was closed so we had to bring the supplies back here. Friend S knows a lady who collects school supplies so we're going to give our stash to S to give to her friend.

Then I wanted to stop at a little store that Liz and I went to the other day. I had seen a wooden wall ornament I liked but didn't purchase at the time. Sadly, they were also closed.

Then to the bank to cash in some American money that we had left over from Cancun. That's an experience! First of all, you have to take a number. There's a machine at the door with several options to choose from. I chose the "Caja", or "cashier", button. The machine dispenses a small piece of paper with a number. Instead of waiting in line, there are padded chairs to sit on. A digital display tells you which number is being served and at which counter. I knew, from reading somewhere, that I would need my passport, so I brought that with me. It took quite a while for the transaction. The teller was deep in concentration while he was typing away on something. He typed, then wrote, then typed some more. I had to sign my name to a piece of paper as well as writing my Progreso address and my home phone number on this paper. He handed my passport to someone who scanned it. At least that's what it looked like he did with it. They're all behind glass and there are cameras all over the place. I didn't want to look too nosey and make it look like I was up to no good. More typing and writing and, finally, the question. "Would you like that in large or small bills?" Small, please. One can never have enough small money in Mexico.

Then we walked to the small mall where the ADO ticket office is to buy our bus tickets to Cancun for Thursday.

A quick stop at a liquor store to buy a liquer that we had been served at Casa on the Malecon the other night and then onto the combi to bring us back to the condo.

I decided to keep my dentist appointment for this afternoon. S&D were going into Merida and had planned on shopping at the Altabrisa mall which is right across the street from the dentist, so I caught a ride with them. I ended up getting a new guard made. I guess my gag reflex made it difficult to get a good mold impression. The new impression went much more smoothly and now I have a guard that fits well. After the impression, they told me that the guard would be ready in 45 minutes. They knew that we're leaving in 2 days and they wanted to save me having to make another trip into the city. Is that service, or what?!

I came home to discover that Liz and Marty had made chili and sent some to our house for supper. I didn't get home until 7:30 so it was nice to have supper already made. All I had to do was heat it up.

Called my favourite granddaughter tonight. That she's my only granddaughter is We had us a good chin wag. My goodness, that girl can talk. *grin*

It's still breezy and it's chilly. We had to close the windows. I know, I know. Wah, wah, wah. How cold can it be if I can still wear shorts. Actually, I had to put a sweater on and, if we'd kept the windows open, I'd be wearing my jeans. It really is cool, even by northern standards.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments posted anonymously, or with self-serving links, may be removed.