Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Theresa Comes to Visit

Today, Theresa from What do I do All Day? came to visit me. I met her at the bus depot and we walked the 3 or 4 blocks over to St Bonnet's for brunch. At her recommendation, I tried eggs with machaca, which she said was similar to beef jerky but better. She was right. It was very tasty. So now when I see this ingredient in the store, I'll know what to do with it.

After brunch we stopped at Parasina's, a fabric store, where I bought some heavyweight thread I needed. Theresa is a very proficient Spanish speaker so I was glad to have her with me. A transaction that would have taken me quite a while to do with my very limited Spanish was accomplished in mere minutes.

We went back to the condo for more visiting. She regaled Senor B and I with tales of her experiences and mishaps between the Spanish she knows and the Spanish that's spoken in Yucatan. Not all words are created equally and some words that seem harmless will have a very different (and occasionally vulgar) meaning the way it's used here.

Theresa does a lot of cooking and was impressed by a Mexican cooking magazine I had picked up at a drugstore in Canada and brought down with me. She gave me some helpful pointers about some ingredients. I was going to leave the magazine here but I think I'll take it back and study it some more.

Originally, Theresa's husband was going to come out to Progreso, too, but he was a little under the weather and couldn't make the trip. Hopefully he gets to feeling better soon and that we'll have the opportunity to meet him in the near future.

Theresa and her husband live here year round and she found today to be quite pleasant, but Senor B and I felt like melting so, after she left, we went down to the pool for a dip and some visiting.

Supper was leftover soup from last night which I had made using a recipe in the cooking magazine. It was delicious last night and even more so tonight. Soup is one of those things that tastes better the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments posted anonymously, or with self-serving links, may be removed.